Afghanistan: Blasts, gunfire rock Jalalabad | News
At least eight people have been killed in a car bomb explosion near a provincial government building in Afghanistan’s eastern province of Nangarhar.
Following the blast, four attackers stormed the finance directorate in the provincial capital, Jalalabad, triggering heavy fighting with security officials.
Attahullah Khogyani, spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar province, said e ight civilians, including three finance department employees, were killed in the car bomb attack. Fourty-two people were also wounded.
All four assailants were killed by security forces after five-hour gun battle.
The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant ( ISIL , also known as ISIS) group claimed responsibility for the attack.
Afghan security forces have struggled to combat the Taliban and ISIL since the US and NATO formally concluded their combat mission in the country in 2014 and shifter their focus to a support and counterterrorism role.
The Taliban have seized control of districts across the country, and the two groups have carried out attacks in the Afghan capital, Kabul, in recent months, killing scores of people.
On May 9, a suicide attack claimed by the Taliban and the ISIL group on two police stations in the Afghan capital Kabul killed five people and wounded 16 others.
Voter registration sites have also come under attack as the country prepares to hold its long-delayed legislative elections, scheduled for October.
Last year, the US pledged to increase its support to struggling Afghan forces, announcing plans for thousands of additional advisers and increasing air raids in a bid to force the Taliban to enter peace negotiations.
SOURCE: Al Jazeera News
Sport Man City transfer news LIVE victory parade route updates and Pablo Maffeo latest Manchester City parade 2018: Everything you need to know about the bus tour after City made more history as they secured 100-points in the Premier League. Share Click to play Tap to play The video will start in 8 Cancel Play now
It was a frantic end to Manchester City’s record breaking season as they snatched a 1-0 win against Southampton.
Pep Guardiola’s side failed to get going before Gabriel Jesus netted a late winner to see the Blues reach 100-points in the Premier League this season. The Brazilian netted a dramatic winner in injury time as he lobbed the ball into the net following a brilliant ball from Kevin de Bruyne.
Victory for the Blues saw them clinch the biggest winning margin (Premier League), Best goal difference (Premier League), Most away wins (Premier League), Most away points (Premier League), Most wins in a season (Top flight) as well as the highest points total (Top flight).
It will be a day of further celebration for the Blues as they hold their Premier League title parade this evening.
Stick with us as we bring you all the news and transfer rumours LIVE all day. Key Events KEY EVENT Guardiola set to launch €70m raid for Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic
Pep Gaurdiola wants to raid former club Barcelona to further strengthen his midfielder, according to reports in Spain.
The City boss is said to covet Nou Camp star Ivan Rakitic and Don Balon claim the Blues are ready to make a €70m offer for the Swiss-born Croatian, who has been with the Catalan club since 2014.
The Spanish publication – which can have an over-dramatic take on football matters – claims, according to Sport Witness, that Guardiola ‘wants to hurt Barca’ and has an ‘obsession’ to improve his midfield.
If €70m seems a bit steep for a 30-year-old, the Champions League and three-times La Liga winner has the right pedigree. 11:19 Pep thinks Liverpool will be title contenders next season
Pep Guardiola expects Liverpool to mount a strong Premier League title challenge next year.Guardiola’s side have swept almost all before them during this season’s record-breaking title-winning campaign but Anfielders have had their number in recent meetings.Jurgen Klopp’s men have been one of only two teams to beat City in the league while they also won both legs of their Champions League quarter-final.Liverpool have since gone on to reach the final of the European competition and Guardiola thinks they will be one of a number of sides gunning for their top spot next term. (Image: Getty Images Europe)
The City manager said: “This season they were a big contender and they will be again next season.
“I will not say just Liverpool, but it’s true – Liverpool, (because of) the way they play and the quality of their players, not just up front.
“I think (Virgil) van Dijk has helped them a lot to be more consistent in the defensive department, especially in the box, and (there is) the quality up front and the quality in the way they play.
“Jurgen is a top manager, creating not just an offensive style and not just thinking about the spectators. He’s always positive, going there and creating good environments in the clubs.
“OK, we are 25 points in front so it’s difficult to say he was difficult (to play against) in the end – but he was because they beat us. Next season will be the same, like (Manchester) United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham.” 11:15 Are out going to the parade tonight?
Click here for everything you need to know for the Blues’ party. 10:38 The stage is being set up for later
Exciting!! All the records City have broken this season
Most points 100 Previous record – 95 – Chelsea 2004-05
Most wins 32 Previous record – 30 – Chelsea 2016-17
Most goals 106 Previous record – 103 – Chelsea 2009-10
Most away wins 16 Previous record 15 – Chelsea 2004-05
Biggest positive goal difference 79 Previous record 71 – Chelsea 2009-10
Biggest title-winning margin 19 points Previous record 18 points – Man Utd 2009-10
Least time trailing 153 minutes Previous record 170 minutes – Arsenal 1998-99 10:21 New job for Roberto Mancini
Breaking news. GMP officers on duty around town
They’ll be plenty of police presence in town ahead of tonight’s parade. 10:13 Gabriel Jesus loved his last minute goal
Shirt off celebration to mark it. 10:13 Guardiola on Monday Night Football special
Tune in for the special programme tomorrow night where Guardiola looks ahead to next season and reflects on a record breaking campaign.
Definitely worth a watch. The Maffeo news hasn’t gone down well
All the replies are from disappointed fans. 09:34 Pablo Maffeo leaves the club
Breaking news this morning as City confirm 20-year-old defender Maffeo has left the club. 09:19 Guardiola on Arteta
Pep Guardiola has explained that Mikel Arteta will be allowed to leave City in the summer if he’s offered the Arsenal job.
He’s been linked with a return to his former club now Arsene Wenger has left and Guardiola would not stand in his way if he wanted to go.
“Mikel’s contribution has been amazing.
We work together so good and him staying will [make me] the happiest guy in the world. If he decides to move because he has this offer, I will not say you don’t have to go. I want the best for my friends.” 09:14 More praise for City
Former Manchester United captain Gary Neville has been speaking about City’s success this season.
“In a single season, the stats for Manchester City are incredible, the goals, the points they acquired…they have absolutely blown everyone away, to a point where we haven’t had a race to discuss for the last two or three months,” he said on the Gary Neville Podcast .
“They have been outstanding and on a different level. Champions are consistent, they defend well, they win when they are not at their best, they blow teams away and score three, four, five goals regularly, they keep possession well, they use their energy levels efficiently and Man City have done all of those things. They have been absolutely wonderful.
“I did say last season that I wondered whether the type of football that Pep Guardiola plays would be able to win a Premier League, but he has absolutely answered that question like you wouldn’t believe. It’s been Pep Guardiola’s football. We did quite a lot of Barcelona games in the Champions League when Pep Guardiola was the coach and it was an outstanding team and he’s now got a team playing in exactly the same mould.
“It’s a big jump for everyone to make in the summer, firstly with the right recruitment and getting the right players into the squads to get anywhere near Manchester City. They are well in front.” 08:55 On this day in 2011
Yaya Toure was the hero as City beat Stoke to clinch the FA Cup. 08:24 Route of the Manchester City parade
The bus parade will begin, at 6pm, on Victoria Street, just behind Manchester Cathedral, and begin to make its way down Deansgate.
It will continue straight down the thoroughfare until it makes a left turn down John Dalton and makes its way into Albert Square.
However there is no stage in front of the Town Hall as for the club’s three recent parades and the parade will not be going to or from the Etihad Stadium.
From Albert Square, where the bus WON’T stop, it will instead continue through the square, onto Mount Street and will then turn right onto Peter Street, heading back towards Deansgate.
It will finish near the junction of Peter Street, Deansgate, and Quay Street where a temporary stage is to be erected near the Great Northern Warehouse.
City say it will take around 45 minutes for the parade to make its way from one end of the one mile route to the other.
After a short interval, the players will be presented onto the stage at around 7pm. 08:17 When is the Manchester City parade?
When is it?
The parade takes place on Monday, May 14, (today!).
The gates to the viewing area in front of the stage, where the players will eventually end up, will open at 4pm for those who want the best view.
The viewing area is non-ticketed and admission will be on a first-come, first-served basis the club say.
The bus parade itself will then set off at 6pm and will finish around 45 minutes later.
The players will be presented on stage at 7pm with the event finishing at 8pm. 08:13 Ederson signs new deal
You might have missed this last night but Ederson has signed a two year contract extension.
City’s keeper has been given a new deal and a substantial pay rise to keep him at the club until 2025.
Queen consents to Harry and Meghan’s marriage – BBC News
These are external links and will open in a new window Close share panel Royal Wedding 2018: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Image copyright Getty Images A picture of the Queen’s written consent, allowing Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to marry, has been released by Buckingham Palace.
The Instrument of Consent was signed by the Queen in March. The first six people in line to the throne must seek the Queen’s approval to marry.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are due to be wed on 19 May in Windsor.
Without the Queen’s consent Prince Harry would have been disqualified from the line of succession.
The Instrument of Consent says: “Now know ye that we have consented and do by these presents signify our consent to the contracting of matrimony between our most dearly beloved grandson Prince Henry Charles Albert David of Wales KCVO and Rachel Meghan Markle.” You might also like:
ME protesters gather in London – BBC News
ME protesters gather in London 12 May 2018 These are external links and will open in a new window Close share panel Media playback is unsupported on your device Media caption Symptoms of ME can include devastating fatigue and brain fog Protesters have gathered in London calling for more research into chronic fatigue syndrome.
The long-term illness, also known as ME, can leave people bedbound for years – but despite its severity it’s still not well understood.
It comes days after a leading expert told a Newsbeat documentary that one of the most common treatments for it should be scrapped.
It’s thought to affect around 250,000 people in the UK. ‘I want my sister back’
One of the protesters is Emily. Her sister was diagnosed with ME six years ago, when she was 12.
She’s been completely bedbound for months now and is being fed through a tube in hospital.
“We’re struggling to get the treatment she needs”, Emily says, “we need to get her feeding, we need to address her pain, but it’s not being addressed in the way it should be.
“They think it’s psychologically based, they think she needs to go off and have therapies that we’ve already tried – so we know they won’t work.
“The way I describe it is I’m actually grieving the loss of my sister because she’s not around anymore. She’s asleep 23-and-a-half hours a day and I want her back.”
ME can not only leave people without the energy to get up, sometimes unable to take on food, it also makes them extremely sensitive to light and sound.
But medical professionals disagree about how best to treat it.
The health watchdog NICE is updating its guidelines for treatment in England – but the review won’t be finished until 2020.
Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland are all waiting to see what the recommendations are. Image caption Dr Shepherd believes some people with ME simply can’t cope with the GET treatment
Earlier this week, a leading expert – Dr Charles Shepherd, told Newsbeat one of the most common treatments should be scrapped right away.
Graded exercise therapy (GET) involves encouraging patients into increasing amounts of physical activity day by day, month by month.
But Dr Shepherd, medical advisor to the ME Association, says pushing people too far can plunge them back into a relapse that can last months.
His thoughts on GET are not shared by all, though.
A statement to Newsbeat from some of the country’s leading ME researchers and clinicians says: “These therapies help many people with CFS/ME by reducing symptoms, increasing what they can do, and improving their quality of life.” Image caption Protestors have laid out shoes in London in honour of loved ones who are too fatigued to be there
It goes on to say that using GET “is based on good evidence from multiple studies and randomised controlled trials showing that these treatments are safe and useful for some patients.
“Right now there are no alternatives for patients, so it is vital that they are not deterred from accessing therapies that can help them.”
The Department of Health also admits ME is “poorly understood” and says “over the past six years we have invested £3.35 million in research to improve understanding of the condition and to look at new approaches to treatment”.
Follow Newsbeat on Instagram , Facebook and Twitter .
Listen to Newsbeat live at 12:45 and 17:45 every weekday on BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra – if you miss us you can listen back here . Related Topics
Malaysian PM Mahathir says country has sufficient revenue to remove GST
KUALA LUMPUR (AFP, REUTERS) – New Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad vowed Sunday (May 13) to review a controversial law against “fake news” hurriedly passed before the elections and seen as aimed at critics of his scandal-tainted predecessor.
He also said the country has sufficient revenue to remove the unpopular goods and services tax (GST), state news agency Bernama reported.
The new government vowed to abolish the consumption tax within the first 100 days of being in power. Related Story Sign up for ST Asia Report newsletter for Malaysia GE updates and other highlights in the region
Tun Dr Mahathir said that the anti-fake news law will be given “proper” definitions so that media and public are clear on what is fake.
“Even though we support freedom of press and freedom of speech, there are limits,” Dr Mahathir said in a live telecast on state TV.
Abolishing the anti-fake news law was one of Dr Mahathir’s campaign promises, but his latest comments point to a re-defining of the controversial law, rather than removing it altogether.
“The fake news law will be given a new definition so that the public and media outlets will know what is fake news and what is not fake,” Mahathir said.
Former prime minister Najib Razak’s government approved the Anti-Fake News 2018 bill last month, which set out fines of up to 500,000 ringgit (S$169,130) and a maximum six years in jail for violators.
Dr Mahathir himself was criticised for clamping down on the media during his previous 22 years as premier. He used used security laws to put his political opponents behind bars and his critics say he restricted free speech and persecuted political opponents.
But he said in his speech Sunday his government would not restrict the press even if they came up with news the government found uncomfortable.
However the 92-year-old – the world’s oldest elected leader – added that “action” would be taken if false news was disseminated with the intention to cause chaos.
“Even though we support the concept of freedom of the press and freedom of speech, everything has a limit,” he said.
The law has so far been used to convict one person: a Danish man who was jailed for a week for accusing emergency services of responding slowly after a Palestinian Hamas member was gunned down in Kuala Lumpur in April.
Dr Mahathir himself was probed during the election campaign for allegedly spreading fake news after claiming that a plane he was supposed to take may have been sabotaged.
Malaysia ranks 145th out of 180 countries in the 2018 World Press Freedom Index, with number one being the freest.
The current law defines fake news as “news, information, data and reports which is or are wholly or partly false” and includes features, visuals and audio recordings.
It covers digital publications and social media and will apply to offenders who maliciously spread “fake news” inside and outside Malaysia, including foreigners, if Malaysia or a Malaysian citizen were affected.
Other countries in South-east Asia, including Singapore and the Philippines, are considering how to tackle “fake news” but human rights activists fear that such laws could be used to stifle free speech.
Malaysia is among the first few countries to introduce a law against it. Germany approved a plan last year to fine social media networks if they fail to remove hateful postings.
Malaysia already has an arsenal of laws, including a colonial-era Sedition Act, that have been used to clamp down on unfavourable news and social media posts.
Moving on to the issue of foreign investment, Dr Mahathir said that foreign investment must bring in capital and technology, and set up factories for either domestic distribution or export, adding that foreign participation in large infrastructure projects will be invited only “when we don’t have expertise”.