Alberta First Nation mourns firefighter who died fighting Ontario forest fires | CBC News

Alberta First Nation mourns firefighter who died fighting Ontario forest fires | CBC News

Alberta First Nation mourns firefighter who died battling Ontario forest fires Alberta First Nation mourns firefighter who died battling Ontario forest fires A First Nation community in northern Alberta is mourning the loss of firefighter Jerry Gadwa, who died last week while helping to fight forest fires in Ontario. Jerry Gadwa was a 20-year veteran firefighter and father of a 10-year-old boy CBC News · Posted: Jul 28, 2018 3:58 PM MT | Last Updated: July 29 Jerry Gadwa, of the Kehewin Cree Nation in northern Alberta, died while supporting fire suppression efforts in Red Lake, Ont. (Facebook)
A First Nation community in northern Alberta is mourning the loss of firefighter Jerry Gadwa, who died Thursday while helping to fight forest fires in Ontario.
“There’s obviously a lot of shock because a lot of people got along good with him,” said Kehewin Cree Nation Coun. William John, Gadwa’s nephew by marriage.
“In our community, we have a lot of people that enjoy… humour, a lot of sharing laughs,” John said. “Jerry was just as much a part of that as anybody else.” Alberta firefighter dies fighting Ontario forest fires
John, whose wife is Gadwa’s niece, learned of Gadwa’s death Thursday night.
For the past 20 years, Gadwa has spent his summers fighting wildfires across the province and country, John said.
“It’s just something, once you have a knack for it, you keep going with it,” John said.
Gadwa, who was working as a forestry firefighter with a company that recruits firefighters from local First Nations, died while supporting fire suppression efforts in Red Lake, Ont., near the border with Manitoba. Hard-working, good father
Gadwa, in his late 40s, lived on the Kehewin Cree Nation reserve, approximately 225 kilometres northeast of Edmonton near Bonnyville, with his 10-year-old son, John said.
“His primary motivation was to make sure his boy had everything he needed,” said John, whose wife is Gadwa’s niece.
“She often spoke of Jerry telling her he wanted to make sure he was taken care of.” Jerry Gadwa was a 20-year veteran firefighter.(Facebook)
Gadwa’s son had been staying with Gadwa’s sister in Cold Lake while his father was firefighting, John said.
John said Gadwa was known in the community for his work ethic.
“He didn’t like to sit around,” John said. “He was very driven.” High school memories
John, who is also in his 40s, has memories of Gadwa going back to their high school days.
Even back then, Gadwa was very disciplined, John said.
“Jerry would put on his muscle T-shirt and I remember some of the boys from Bonnyville coming up to me and asking, ‘Who is this guy?’
“They were impressed by his physique.”
Gadwa began training as a firefighter when he was still very young, John said, noting Gadwa’s career path motivated him to keep fit.
John said he’s heard his uncle by marriage may have been suffering from a health issue.
“If he was a little bit ill, perhaps he shouldn’t have been out there,” John said.
The Ontario Ministry of Labour and police are investigating the cause of Gadwa’s death, with the help of the Ministry of Natural Resources. Firefighting community grieving
On Saturday, Brian McEvoy, regional fire chief with Bonnyville Regional Fire Authority, said the news of Gadwa’s death is reverberating through the local firefighting community.
“Emergency services are very close-knit groups of people,” he said. “When one has a loss, we all share it. This one we share a little bit more because it’s closer to home.”
Bonnyville and Kehewin volunteer fire departments often worked together on fires in the area, McEvoy said. ​
Premier Rachel Notley Friday offered condolences.
“We are one country and we look out for one another. Mr. Gadwa and his fellow firefighters were in Ontario fighting to defend the well-being of their fellow Canadians,” Notley said in a statement.
“The sacrifice they and their families make is extraordinary and is felt heavily in hearts throughout Alberta and across Canada.”
There are currently more than 200 Alberta firefighter deployed in other provinces, with the majority in Ontario.

Read More…

WWE Hall of Famer Nikolai Volkoff Dies at 70 | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

WWE Hall of Famer Nikolai Volkoff died , the company announced Sunday.
He was 70.
“MY BEST FRIEND. MY PARTNER. MY BROTHER. WE GET MORE HEAT THAN ANYONE ON EARTH. I TRUST HIM WITH MY LIFE. HE TAKE CARE OF ME WHEN I WAS DOWN. I MISS YOU FOREVER,” The Iron Sheik, Volkoff’s longtime tag team partner, said on Twitter .
Volkoff began wrestling in 1967 and embarked on a career that lasted nearly 40 years. He spent the bulk of his time in the WWF and World Wide Wrestling Federation, Vince McMahon Sr.’s precursor to the WWF. He also spent time with the American Wrestling Association in the 1970s.
Volkoff and The Sheik were one of the premier heel tag teams of the 1980s under the management of Classy Freddie Blassie. The pair won the WWF Tag Team Championship once before breaking up.
Volkoff later teamed with Boris Zukhov as part of The Bolsheviks for the remainder of the 1980s before leaving the company in 1990. He briefly returned in 1994 and 1995 as a member of the Million Dollar Corporation before retiring.
A number of people within the wrestling community expressed their condolences on Twitter: Tommy Dreamer @THETOMMYDREAMER Sad to hear the passing of @WWE Hall of Famer Nikolai Volkoff Celebrate his life Watch his greatness on @WWENetwork and all please rise as he sings the Russian National Anthem https://t.co/0m5US6D0tw Nattie @NatbyNature I always loved our conversations backstage … Nikolai Volkoff was so special to my dad and the entire Hart family. We will miss you, Nikolai. My thoughts and condolences go out to Nikolai’s family. 🙏 https://t.co/WfMd4FDowb Frankie Kazarian @FrankieKazarian RIP Nikolai Volkoff. One of our industries great characters. One of the first action figures I had as a child. As much as I enjoyed his singing of the Russian National Anthem, I will always be a Cara Mia guy. Godspeed. James Ellsworth @realellsworth I did many road trips with Nikolai Volkoff. As we only lived 15 minutes from each other. I learned so much from him. He was one of the kindest people I’ve ever met. I’ll miss him dearly #RIPNikolaiVolkoff https://t.co/lJG2h01Lto
Volkoff’s last WWE appearance was in 2014 during an episode of Raw. Facebook Logo

Read More…

Mike Pence Defends White House Banning CNN Reporter From Press Event

POLITICS 07/29/2018 01:39 pm ET Updated 1 day ago Mike Pence Defends White House Banning CNN Reporter From Press Event “Maintaining the decorum that is due at the White House… is an issue,” the vice president told Fox News. By Hayley Miller 6.4k 4.9k Vice President Mike Pence stood by the White House’s decision to ban a CNN reporter from a press event last week, citing the need to maintain “decorum.”
“This administration believes in the freedom of the press,” Pence told Fox News ’ Maria Bartiromo in an interview airing Sunday. “But maintaining the decorum that is due at the White House… is an issue that we’ll continue to work forward.”
The White House was hit with intense backlash from dozens of journalists and media outlets on Wednesday after it disinvited CNN’s Kaitlan Collins, representing five television networks as the day’s chosen pool reporter, from a press event.
Collins was told by the White House that at a brief gathering earlier in the day, she had asked President Donald Trump “inappropriate” questions and had refused to leave the Oval Office, according to CNN. Collins and other reporters present at the time disputed the White House’s claim.
Several cable news networks, including Fox News, issued statements expressing solidarity with CNN and calling for reporters’ full access to press events.
Despite Trump’s repeated attacks on the press, including falsely accusing outlets of publishing “fake news” and calling journalists the “enemy of the people,” Pence told Bartiromo that the administration has provided “extraordinary access to the media.”
“The president answers so many questions in so many different settings, and I can assure that we’ll continue to do that,” Pence said.
While Trump occasionally takes impromptu questions from reporters at various gatherings, he hasn’t held a solo press conference since February 2017.
Pence deflected when asked by Bartiromo whether shutting out Collins was like shutting out “everybody” from the press event.
“I would leave that decision to the White House staff,” he said. “We’ll make sure that every network, every major news organization, continues to have access because we stand for the freedom of the press in this White House.”
Trump and New York Times publisher A.G. Sulzberger, meanwhile, found themselves offering vastly different takes on a meeting they had earlier this month at the White House that focused on journalistic matters.
The president tweeted on Sunday that they spent “much time” discussing “the vast amount of Fake News being put out,” his erroneous phrase for stories that displease him.
But Sulzberger, in a statement to HuffPost, said his “main purpose for accepting the meeting was to raise concerns about the president’s deeply troubling anti-press rhetoric.” He said he told Trump “directly that I thought that his language was not just divisive but increasingly dangerous.”
Watch Bartiromo’s full interview with Pence below. His comments on Collins begin around the 11:15 mark.
This story has been updated with details on the Trump-Sulzberger meeting.
RELATED… ‘Fox And Friends’ Avoids Questioning Kellyanne Conway About CNN Reporter Ban Mike Pence Says U.S. Will Sanction Turkey Unless American Pastor Freed Mike Pence Looms As Donald Trump’s Ultimate Poison Pill
Hayley Miller Reporter,

Read More…

France shocked by video of woman being slapped by harasser – BBC News

France shocked by video of woman being slapped by harasser 30 July 2018 These are external links and will open in a new window Close share panel Image copyright Marie Laguerre/Cafe video Image caption The man walked towards the student and was captured striking her on the cafe’s video A French student has spoken out after she was harassed by a man in a Paris street and then hit in the face when she told him to stop.
Marie Laguerre shared CCTV video of the man slapping her outside a cafe in the north-east of the capital.
The video has gone viral and coincides with a government push to impose on-the-spot fines for street harassment.
“The first fines should be handed out this autumn,” said Equalities Minister Marlène Schiappa.
Offenders will have to pay between €90 (£80; $105) and €750 under a package of measures that was backed by French MPs in May and is set to complete its passage through parliament this week.
The initiative has resonated among French women as the #MeToo movement and its French equivalent #BalanceTonPorc (“rat on your pig”) have gathered pace. What happened?
Ms Laguerre, 22, had been returning home from work last Tuesday in the 19th district of Paris when a man started making obscene and degrading comments and “noises with sexual connotations”, she explained in an interview with French radio on Monday. End of Youtube post by Marie Laguerre
At that point the man became angry and threw an ashtray, missing her by inches, she added.
After exchanging insults, the man walked towards her and was captured striking her on the cafe’s video.
“I know he’s going to hit me. I could have run off but there was no question of that. I wasn’t going to look down and certainly wasn’t going to apologise,” she said. He hit her forcefully on the cheek and continued shouting at her.
While people sitting in the cafe remonstrated with the man, she went home but quickly decided to go back to the cafe to take witness statements and complain to the police. How have people reacted?
Everyone at the cafe had found her response normal, she said, and the owner gave her the video to help catch the attacker. It has now been viewed more than a million times.
Ms Laguerre said fighting back against such aggression was hard, but all women were affected by it and it was time to say stop. “I can’t keep quiet and we mustn’t stay silent,” she wrote on Facebook.
The equalities minister told Le Parisien newspaper she was outraged by the attack and said the aim of the new law was to impose a clear social ban on harassment.
She said a number of women had complained of being groped in the street as France celebrated its World Cup victory earlier this month, and called for witnesses to come forward for all cases of sexual assault.
Paris prosecutors have responded to the attack on Marie Laguerre by opening an inquiry into sexual harassment and armed violence, although the man has yet to be traced. Why do people react differently to harassment?
French psychiatrist Muriel Salmona told the Huffington Post that people may have a mixed reaction when faced with harassment.
“You feel fear, a threat, but also anger and also exasperation. Even more so if it happens several times in the course of one day,” she explained.
Some people may be unable to react because of shock, or what she calls “emotional amnesia”. Others might not respond because they fear the harasser becoming violent, as happened with Ms Laguerre.
Such reactions are completely normal, Ms Salmona says, adding that harassers seek to “create a state of fear”.
Even those who do respond may continue to experience fear or anxiety.
Ms Laguerre says that she still feels “on edge” following her experience, telling FranceInfo: “I don’t feel very comfortable walking outside.” What to do if you experience harassment

Read More…

Trump again threatens government shutdown over immigration

Latest Stories Trump again threatens government shutdown over immigration The president demanded cooperation from the Democrats over immigration, threatening to close the government in order to achieve his goals. by Saphora Smith / Jul.29.2018 / 11:23 PM ET Breaking News Emails Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings. SUBSCRIBE Trump says he’s willing to shut down government over immigration Jul.29.2018 01:54
President Donald Trump threatened on Sunday to shut down the federal government if the Democrats refuse to back his administration’s proposed changes to immigration laws.
“I would be willing to ‘shut down’ government if the Democrats do not give us the votes for Border Security, which includes the Wall! Must get rid of Lottery, Catch & Release etc. and finally go to system of Immigration based on MERIT! We need great people coming into our Country!” Trump posted on Twitter.
The tweet came as part of a stream of posts relating to immigration. Democrats, who want Open Borders and care little about Crime, are incompetent, but they have the Fake News Media almost totally on their side! — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 27, 2018
Referring to the government’s controversial former policy of separating families at the U.S.-Mexico border, he wrpte, “please understand, there are consequences when people cross our Border illegally, whether they have children or not — and many are just using children for their own sinister purposes.”
“Congress must act on fixing the DUMBEST & WORST immigration laws anywhere in the world! Vote “R”” he added. Related
Trump has made similar threats in past months relating to immigration.
The government has shut down twice this year, but not at the behest of the president.
In January, the government entered a partial shutdown for three days when a key vote fell far short of the support needed to pass the senate. The proposal that failed would have funded the government until Feb. 16, extended the low-income Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) for six years and suspended some Obamacare taxes for two years.
But Senate Democrats, demanding progress on the fate of the young immigrants covered by the DACA program, withheld their support for the bill after the prospect of an agreement with Republicans and the White House fell apart.
The government temporarily closed again in February , after Congress failed to pass a funding bill due to the objections of one senator. Non-essential government services were closed throughout the night.
After weeks of negotiations between moderate and conservative Republicans in the House, lawmakers failed to pass the GOP’s compromise immigration measure last month. Members of Congress left Washington Thursday to go on a month-long recess without resolving the issue of immigration legislation and family separation at the U.S.-Mexico border.
Trump’s tweet came days after the government said more than 1,800 children separated from their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border had been reunited with their families . Nonetheless, hundreds remain separated. Breaking News Emails Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings. SUBSCRIBE

Read More…