West Hollywood Council urges removal of Trump's Walk of Fame star

West Hollywood Council urges removal of Trump’s Walk of Fame star

Donald Trump West Hollywood Council urges removal of Trump’s Walk of Fame star The resolution cited Trump’s treatment of women, minorities and his administration’s separation of immigrant families at the U.S. border. by Adam Edelman / / Updated Aug.07.2018 / 11:59 AM ET Tourists walk on Hollywood Blvd in Hollywood, California, near the star of President Donald Trump. Mark Ralston / AFP – Getty Images file Breaking News Emails Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings. SUBSCRIBE
The West Hollywood City Council voted Monday night to urge the removal of President Donald Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the city’s mayor said.
The neighborhood’s City Council passed the resolution, citing Trump’s “attacks” on “minorities, immigrants” and other groups, West Hollywood Mayor John Duran said a statement to NBC News.
“The West Hollywood City Council did not pass the resolution because Donald Trump is a conservative or a Republican. Earning a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame is an honor. When one belittles and attacks minorities, immigrants, Muslims, people with disabilities or women — the honor no longer exists,” Duran said in an email.
The council’s staff report on the resolution also cited the Trump administration’s separation of immigrant families at the U.S. border and Trump’s “denial of findings from the United States intelligence community regarding Russian interference in the 2016 election and continued refusal to hold Russia accountable for its crimes.”
The council, which does not have any direct authority over the Hollywood Walk of Fame, will now share the resolution with the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, which does.
In a statement, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Leron Gubler said his group would refer the council’s resolution to its executive committee “for consideration at their next meeting.”
“As of now, there are no plans to remove any stars from the Hollywood Walk of Fame,” Gubler said. “The West Hollywood City Council does not have jurisdiction over the Hollywood Walk of Fame.”
Trump’s star, which he earned in 2007 for his work on the Miss Universe pageant, has been vandalized repeatedly in recent years.
Last month, a man with a pickax smashed it to pieces. The suspect, identified as Austin Clay, was booked on suspicion of felony vandalism.
In 2016, weeks before the presidential election, a man dressed as a construction worker also smashed the star with a pickax and sledgehammer. Breaking News Emails Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings. SUBSCRIBE

Read More…

Indonesian woman ‘held captive in cave for 15 years’ – BBC News

Indonesian woman ‘held captive in cave for 15 years’ 7 August 2018 These are external links and will open in a new window Close share panel Image copyright Police handout Image caption Indonesian police published this photo of the cave Police in Sulawesi, Indonesia say they have freed a 28-year-old woman who was held captive in a cave for 15 years by a village shaman.
The 83-year-old man is alleged to have kidnapped the woman when she was 13, and brainwashed her into believing he was possessed by a spirit or “jin”.
He allegedly took her back to his home at night where he sexually abused her for more than a decade.
The man has been charged under sex abuse and child protection laws.
According to local media, the man – named as Jago – was known as an alternative healer and for performing black magic.
Police say that in 2003, the 13-year-old girl was brought to him for treatment by her own family and stayed behind with him. Image copyright Police handout Image caption The 83-year old faces 15 years in prison if found guilty
Later that same year, she disappeared. Media reports say the shaman told the family she had left for Jakarta to find work there.
Relatives tried to find her for several years but eventually, she was declared missing.
Acting on a report, police went to the village in Galumpang, central Sulawesi on Sunday, and found the woman in a small space behind boulders. Does the death penalty actually deter rape?
Images released by police showed some basic furniture inside the cave, which was near the man’s house.
Tolitoli Police Chief M Iqbal Alqudusy said the man had been raping the girl since she was 13 and would show her a picture of what he said was a jin who possessed him.
They allege she was brought to the man’s house at night but during the day was forced to stay in the small prison-like cave.
“The victim seems to have been brainwashed, making her afraid to run away and afraid to meet other people because she was being watched by a jin,” a local resident named Sugeng told the Jakarta Post.
The suspect faces up to 15 years in prison if found guilty. Related Topics

Read More…

Saudi Arabia to sell off Canadian assets and stop buying Canadian wheat and barley | CBC News

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is reportedly selling off its assets in Canada and will stop buying Canadian wheat and barley, in the latest escalation in the sudden diplomatic dispute between the two countries.

Read More…

Tokyo Medical University apologises for changing female exam scores – BBC News

Tokyo Medical University apologises for changing female exam scores 8 August 2018 These are external links and will open in a new window Close share panel Image copyright Reuters Image caption The university has apologised for “betraying” the trust of the public One of Japan’s most prestigious medical universities has apologised for tampering with entrance exam scores to limit its intake of female students.
An internal investigation found that Tokyo Medical University (TMU) had been manipulating the scores of female applicants from as early as 2006.
It also marked down the scores of male applicants who had taken the entrance test at least four times.
TMU has said the alterations should never have happened.
The university also admitted to adding extra points to the scores of 18 students who had made donations to the school.
“We betrayed the public trust. We want to sincerely apologise for this,” TMU managing director Tetsuo Yukioka told reporters at a press conference on Tuesday.
Keisuke Miyazawa, vice-president of TMU also pledged that next year’s entrance exams would be fair. Image copyright AFP Image caption TMU’s manipulation practices date back to 2006
The story was first reported last week by Yomiuri Shimbun, the country’s biggest daily paper and has since sparked national outrage.
The report had quoted an unnamed source saying officials adopted a “silent understanding” to reduce the number of female entrants over concerns female graduates were not going on to practice medicine in employment.
“Many female students who graduate end up leaving the actual medical practice to give birth and raise children,” the source told the newspaper.
In 2010, before the measure was allegedly introduced, female student participation was about 40%.
The newspaper reported that after the two-round application process earlier this year, only 30 female applicants were accepted to study, versus 141 men. Related Topics

Read More…

Saudi Arabia to sell off Canadian assets and stop buying Canadian wheat and barley News

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is reportedly selling off its assets in Canada and will stop buying Canadian wheat and barley, in the latest escalation in the sudden diplomatic dispute between the two countries.
Saudi Arabia’s main state wheat buying agency has told grains exporters it will no longer buy Canadian wheat and barley.
“As of Tuesday, Aug. 7, 2018, Saudi Grains Organization (SAGO) can no longer accept milling wheat or feed barley cargoes of Canadian origin to be supplied,” the notice to grain traders said.
Saudi Arabia pulls its medical patients from Canadian hospitals Canada sold 66,000 tonnes of wheat to Saudi Arabia last year, slightly less than it did in 2016, Statistics Canada data shows.
In 2017, Canada also sold 132,000 tonnes of barley to the country, two times as much as it did the previous year.
In 2015, Saudia Arabia-based Saudi Agricultural and Livestock Investment Company was part of a consortium that bought a controlling interest in the Canadian Wheat Board for $250 million .
The move to block Canadian grain is the kingdom’s attempt to punish Canada economically after Global Affairs Canada publicly criticized the Kingdom for jailing dissidents, enraging the regime.
The national Saudi Arabian airline, Saudia, said this week that it would suspend all flights between the country and Canada, starting next week.
Important Announcement from #SAUDIA pic.twitter.com/HgrQbZYvd4
— @Saudi_Airlines The airline currently flies two routes to Canada, one to Riyadh and one to Jeddah.
But the Saudis don’t have a lot of economic weapons at their disposal. The Financial Times reported Wednesday that the regime has ordered its central bank and massive sovereign wealth fund to sell off any Canadian assets, which the newspaper estimated to be a “fairly small” fraction of its total $100 billion in foreign holdings.
The Canadian dollar plunged on the report, before traders realized the limited scope of the moves.
The FT report comes a day after the Toronto Stock Exchange faced mysterious selling pressure on Tuesday after an unknown international dealer was said to be aggressively selling Canadian assets.
“From about 10:30 this morning a big sell program came in internationally at one of the dealers,” said Dominique Barker, portfolio manager, CIBC Asset Management.
Saudi oil exports to Canada easy to replace, economist says “We don’t know which one, but the market has sold off, and the Canadian dollar also sold off from about that time. So that’s impacting the Canadian market versus the rest of the world,” Barker said.
Statistics Canada data shows that Canada imported just over $2 billion from Saudi Arabia so far in 2018. In return, Canada exported just shy of $1.4 billion to Saudi Arabia since January.
The Persian Gulf country is, however, a major supplier of oil to Canada, with about 15 per cent of Canada’s oil imports coming from Saudi Arabia last year. That’s about 100,000 barrels per day, and most of it is bound for Eastern Canada.

Read More…