UK supreme court backs bakery that refused to make gay wedding cake | UK news | The Guardian

UK supreme court backs bakery that refused to make gay wedding cake | UK news | The Guardian

Judges find in favour of appeal, ruling there was no discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation

Read More…

British lorry driver tells migrants on his truck ‘you gonna learn today’ | Metro News

Share this article via flipboard Copy link 22 Shares
A British lorry driver has filmed himself taunting migrants who were on his truck when they realised he wasn’t going in the direction they wanted.
He said that he was giving them a ‘lesson’ after warning them not to get on board the transporter.
They can be seen waving at the driver to slow down so that they could jump off. To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video
He told them: ‘I told you I wasn’t stopping. You’re going to Holland.’
Writing on Facebook, Ryan Ledgister said: ‘I told these motherf**kers I’m not stupid enough to stop here on my way home, don’t waste your time, and they didn’t listen.
‘Boy you going to learn today’.
Three clips, two of them filmed from behind the steering wheel, show the immigrants jumping on board at a petrol station. Advertisement Advertisement
The driver can be heard speaking to the camera saying: ‘I told these two boys that I’m going to Holland. So when they get on they best hold on tight because I’m not stopping motherf**ker’.
The second clip shows the driver filming his wing mirror whilst driving on a motorway jeering at the immigrants who wave at him to slow down. The migrant could be seen trying to flag the driver down so that he could get off (Picture: Deadline News) He continued driving towards Holland despite the migrant’s protests (Picture: Deadline News)
The migrants are hunkered down between the load, which seems to be a yellow bulldozer.
The driver can be heard singing: ‘Oh I told you I wasn’t stopping! You’re coming to Holland, you’re coming to Holland!’.
A third clip shows the driver filming the immigrants through his wing mirror as they clamber forward towards him.
The video is captioned: ‘I got options but stopping isn’t one’.
The lorry can be seen driving passed a sign saying ‘Veurne 1500m’, a city in Belgium.
The videos show the extent to which immigrants will go to try and reach developed countries in Western Europe.
Last week footage emerged of a man trying to evade customs at a port in Morocco by hiding on the roof of a HGV.
The man lay flat on his front as the lorry loaded onto a ferry believed to be heading for Western Europe. Got a story for Metro.co.uk?
If you have a story for our news team, email us at .
You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter . Advertisement

Read More…

Saudi government planned Jamal Khashoggi hit: NY Times | USA News | Al Jazeera

Top Saudi leaders deployed a 15-man hit squad to lie in wait for dissident writer Jamal Khashoggi inside Riyadh’s consulate in Istanbul, The New York Times said in an explosive story.
Among the assassination team was a forensic expert who brought a bone saw to dismember Khashoggi’s body after killing him, the Times reported on Tuesday, citing an unidentified “senior official” as saying.
Al Jazeera could not immediately verify the news report.
The hit squad finished the murder operation within two hours and departed Turkey for various countries, said the Times’ source, citing information from “top Turkish officials”.
“It is like Pulp Fiction,” the senior Turkish official was quoted as saying, referring to the graphically violent 1994 Hollywood movie by director Quentin Tarantino.
Accusations the Saudi leadership directly ordered the alleged assassination of Khashoggi will put further pressure on the United States and other allies to demand a transparent investigation, with possible serious repercussions to bilateral relations if it does not come to fruition.
Saudi officials have denied any involvement in Khashoggi’s disappearance and alleged murder, saying he left the consulate on October 2. Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has demanded that Riyadh prove his departure from the building.
The Turkish government hasn’t provided formal evidence that could back up the spate of anonymous allegations that the Saudi writer was killed inside the Istanbul consulate.
Daily Sabah, a Turkish newspaper with close ties to the government, named and published photos on Tuesday of the alleged 15-member Saudi assassination team accused of travelling to Istanbul on the day Khashoggi disappeared. The suspects are wanted by Turkish authorities for questioning.
WATCH: Saudi Arabia denies killing of Khashoggi inside Turkey consulate (2:48)
‘Explaining to do’ American Senator Bob Corker, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said on Tuesday that “everything today points to” Khashoggi’s murder last week inside the Saudi consulate.
Corker told The Daily Beast his view was reaffirmed after viewing classified intelligence about the disappearance.
“It points to the idea that whatever has happened to him, the Saudis – I mean, they’ve got some explaining to do,” Corker was quoted as saying.
Al Jazeera’s Patty Culhane, reporting from Washington, DC, said the deluge of news reports will increase pressure on the US government to act.
“This was a prominent American columnist who is beloved among a small group of the intelligence elite in Washington, DC, and they are speaking out. This story is making front-page news. It is being greeted by a sense of outrage, and that is only growing as each story reveals new information,” she said.
‘Lay hands on him’ Meanwhile on Tuesday, the Washington Post – for whom Khashoggi wrote columns after fleeing Saudi Arabia over fears of retribution for his critical commentary – reported that US intelligence had intercepted communications of Saudi officials planning to abduct the prominent journalist.
“Saudis wanted to lure Khashoggi back to Saudi Arabia and lay hands on him there,” the Post quoted a person familiar with the information as saying.
It was not clear whether the Saudis intended to arrest and interrogate Khashoggi or to kill him – or if the US warned Khashoggi he was a target, the source told the newspaper.
Khashoggi entered the consulate on October 2 to handle a routine paperwork issue but he never came out, according to family and friends, as well as Turkish authorities.
{articleGUID} The US resident has written articles over the past year during his self-imposed exile that were critical of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman .
Khashoggi, 59, has had a long career as a senior journalist in Saudi Arabia and also as an adviser to top officials.
Powerful crown prince But since the emergence of bin Salman , 33, as the centre of power in the kingdom last year, Khashoggi has been openly critical of the monarchy.
He assailed the prince’s reforms as hollow, accusing him of introducing a new Saudi era of “fear, intimidation, arrests and public shaming”.
Robert Pearson, a former US ambassador to Turkey, said the case could change the relationship between the US and Saudi Arabia .
“They must give a transparent explanation very quickly, otherwise the tide will quickly turn against them. It’s now been a week and nothing has been shown to prove about his (Khashoggi’s) safety,” he told Al Jazeera.
He noted 47 US senators recently voted to ban US arms sales to Saudi Arabia – four short of a majority.
“It is beginning to reach a genuine crisis point now, which can be solved very quickly if the Saudis are really on the spot,” said Pearson.
“The arms sales bill, the war in Yemen – those are the kinds of things that can turn very quickly into a political statement that will damage Saudi’s relationship with the United States, and damage Saudi’s reputation worldwide.”
Inside Story
US steps up pressure on Saudi Arabia over Khashoggi disappearance
SOURCE: Al Jazeera and news agencies

Read More…

US woman removed from plane after boarding with ’emotional support’ squirrel | US news

Flight from Orlando to Cleveland was delayed by two hours after woman refused to leave and take her squirrel with her

Read More…

Evacuations underway near Prince George, B.C., after reports of gas line explosion | CBC News

Residents of a northern B.C. community are being allowed to return home after a natural gas explosion saw homes evacuated Tuesday evening.
Prince George RCMP said an incandescent orange fireball that could be seen for kilometres at approximately 5:30 p.m. PT was from an Enbridge natural gas pipeline exploding in Shelley, about 15 kilometres northeast of Prince George.
Hi everyone this is what I know about the fire. It is a gas line explosion northwest of Prince George, northwest of the city, around Shelley. Several emergency vehicles on scene. Don’t know cause, don’t know injuries. Will update when I do. 📷 @Dhruv7491 #cityofPG pic.twitter.com/pdoFC4ZGvY
— @akurjata Homes within several kilometres were evacuated as a precaution, but people were being allowed to return, police said in a news release at 7:30 p.m. PT. There was no damage to anything other than the pipeline, police said, and no one was injured. The gas has been shut off.
Police said it was unclear what caused the explosion but an update would be provided Wednesday.
Speedy evacuation Chief Dominic Frederick of Lheidli T’enneh First Nation said about 100 people from his community were forced to flee, along with people from a nearby subdivision.
The explosion happened only about two kilometres from the reserve, forcing residents to quickly flee, he said.
“We sort of trained for it … because of the wildfires,” Frederick said of the speedy evacuation. “Everything was just left behind.”
B.C. Assembly of First Nations regional Chief Terry Teegee shared a video of the explosion’s immediate aftermath
Resident Megan Clark described hearing terrible sounds from her house, located a short distance from where the line exploded.
“I thought it was thunder at first, because it was loud, banging kind of noises,” Clark said. “I look out my window and I see this huge forest fire so I thought maybe a house blew up.”
Clark said once she and her family saw what was happening, they grabbed their pets and a few belongings and ran.
Enbridge to investigate Prince George Mayor Lyn Hall, speaking after an all-candidates forum in the city, said the emergency operations centre was activated for evacuees.
“We’re very concerned about this,” Hall said, adding the focus now would be to keep affected residents informed about the situation.
Michael Barnes, an Enbridge spokesperson based in Houston, said crews are depressurizing the gas lines and have cordoned off the area of the explosion for safety.
Enbridge said in a statement that it will be investigating the cause of the explosion. The National Energy Board tweeted that it has sent inspectors to the scene.
With files from Andrew Kurjata, Lien Yeung and Wil Fundal
Read more from CBC British Columbia

Read More…