Revealed: sick, tortured immigrants locked up for months in Britain | UK news | The Guardian

Revealed: sick, tortured immigrants locked up for months in Britain | UK news | The Guardian

Investigation suggests hundreds of vulnerable people are detained indefinitely

Read More…

Chief Justice Roberts transfers Kavanaugh misconduct complaints to 10th Circuit – The White House News

(CNN) Chief Justice John Roberts said in a letter on Wednesday that he had transferred judicial misconduct complaints related to Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh to the Judicial Council of the 10th US Circuit Court of Appeals for further review.
Although the complaints were originally lodged with the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Kavanaugh’s former court, the circuit executive of that court asked Roberts to transfer the matters to another circuit out of a “concern that local disposition may weaken public confidence in the process.” The complaints relate to testimony that Kavanaugh gave last month during his confirmation hearings, according to a source familiar, and do not pertain to his conduct as a sitting judge. FBI Director: Kavanaugh background probe ‘limited in scope’ In a letter addressed to Judge Timothy M. Tymkovich, the chief circuit judge of the Denver-based 10th Circuit, Roberts said he had selected the court to review the identified complaints and “any pending or new complaints related to the same subject matter.” Tymkovich can handle the complaints himself, dismiss them or appoint a special committee to examine them. According to the Rules for Judicial-Conduct and Judicial-Disability Proceedings, any person may file a misconduct complaint against a federal judge in the circuit in which the judge sits. Read More In his letter, Roberts referred to more than a dozen complaints that had been filed between September 20 and October 5. Kavanaugh settles in, hires 4 female clerks, joins court for first day of arguments Last weekend DC Circuit Judge Karen LeCraft Henderson mentioned the complaints in a news release. She said they “do not pertain to any conduct in which Judge Kavanaugh engaged as a Judge.” “The complaints seek investigations only of the public statements he has made as nominee to the Supreme Court of the United States,” she wrote in the release. According to a source familiar, Henderson dismissed some allegations because she found they lacked sufficient evidence but chose to forward others along. Tymkovich is a George W. Bush appointee who is on Trump’s Supreme Court short list.

Read More…

Melania Trump: ‘I’m the most bullied person on the world’ – BBC News

End of Twitter post by @ABC
Mrs Trump was also asked if she is Mr Trump’s gatekeeper.
“Oh, I wish,” she said, laughing.
She said she does not trust some people who have worked in the West Wing, and that she has given Mr Trump her “honest advice” about them.
“Well, some people they don’t work there anymore,” she said, when asked what action Mr Trump had taken.
“It’s harder to govern,” she said. “You always need to watch your back.” Media playback is unsupported on your device Media caption What do Africans think about the first lady’s trip to Africa?
Mrs Trump last week undertook her first solo trip abroad as US first lady, travelling to Ghana, Malawi, Kenya, and Egypt.
In the ABC interview she also said women alleging they have been sexually abused “need to have really hard evidence”.
She did not clarify what would constitute “hard evidence”.
“I do stand with women but we need to show the evidence,” she said.
“You cannot just say to somebody, ‘I was sexually assaulted,’ or, ‘You did that to me’.
“Because sometimes the media goes too far and the way they portray some stories [that are] not correct. It’s not right,” she added.
Earlier in her trip overseas, she defended Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.
His nomination was almost derailed by an allegation that as a high school teenager he sexually abused a girl. Related Topics

Read More…

Nikki Haley resigns as UN ambassador, stays mum on next move | Fox News

‘Shock and surprise’ at State Department over Haley exit Nikki Haley abruptly announced her resignation Tuesday as U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, catching staff and lawmakers by surprise and leaving Washington guessing about the next move for one of the administration’s most prominent figures. Speaking in the Oval Office alongside President Trump, who accepted the resignation, Haley said she would serve through the end of 2018. She preemptively sought to mute speculation she might run against her old boss, stressing that she will support Trump and will not campaign for the White House in 2020.
Haley called her time at the U.N. a “blessing,” but offered no reason for leaving other than a belief that government officials must know “when it’s time to step aside.” Trump told reporters that Haley did “an incredible job” and is a “fantastic person.” He said she had told him six months ago that she wanted to take a break “maybe at the end of the year.”
“Hopefully you’ll be coming back at some point, maybe in another capacity,” he told her. “You can have your pick.”
Haley called her time at Turtle Bay the “honor of a lifetime” and said there was “nothing set on where I am going to go.” She also praised the work of Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner, particularly Kushner’s role in re-negotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). She called Kushner a “hidden genius.”
“Now the U.S. is respected. Countries may not like what we do, but they respect what we do,” she said, citing a number of achievements of the Trump administration.
“The U.S. is strong again, it’s strong in a way that should make all Americans very proud,” she told reporters.
On why it’s time to leave, Haley said she’s a believer in term limits and believes it’s good to rotate new government officials in from time to time.
Axios , which first reported the news, reported that Haley discussed her resignation last week when she visited Trump at the White House. The outlet reported that the news shocked a number of senior foreign policy officials in the administration. State Department sources told Fox News that Haley told her staff her intentions to resign just this morning. One Security Council diplomat told Fox News that the news “came as a surprise to me.” Video
Haley had been a critic of Trump during the 2016 Republican primary campaign but emerged as a key figure in his administration as she pushed the administration’s policy goals on Iran, North Korea and other items of international cooperation. The former governor of South Carolina was confirmed as U.N. Ambassador four days after Trump was inaugurated in January 2017.
Haley was a fierce critic of U.N. mismanagement and bias against Israel and the U.S. She secured cuts to the U.S. contribution to the U.N. fund, and pulled the U.S. out of the U.N. Human Rights Council — calling it a “cesspool of political bias.” She also secured an arms embargo on South Sudan, a goal that had evaded the Obama administration.
A number of U.N. diplomats reacted with praise for the outgoing U.S. ambassador. Israeli Ambassador to the U.N. Danny Danon thanked Haley in a statement “for standing with the truth without fear.”
“Thank you for representing the values common to Israel and the United States. Thank you for your support for the State of Israel, which helped lead to a change in Israel’s status in the UN,” he said in a statement. “Thank you for your close friendship and common paths. Wherever you are, you will continue to be a true friend of the State of Israel.”
“We will miss her. I worked with her two years and from the beginning it was a warm, personal relationship and Morocco will never forget her,” Moroccan Ambassador Omar Hilale told Fox News outside the U.N.
HALEY PRESSURES ARAB STATES TO STEP UP ON PALESTINIAN AID; ‘WE ARE NOT FOOLS’
Haley spearheaded the administration’s push to increase U.N. sanctions on North Korea, a move that ultimately led to a de-escalation of tensions in the region and talks between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. On Tuesday, Trump said that they “have solved a lot of problems” together and specifically mentioned North Korea, which he said is “moving along nicely.”
The shock move comes just days after the opening of the U.N. General Assembly session, where Trump spoke in front of the GA and also chaired a Security Council meeting on Iran and non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.
Fox News’ John Roberts, Ben Evansky and Rich Edson contributed to this report. Adam Shaw is a reporter covering U.S. and European politics for Fox News.. He can be reached . Trending in Politics

Read More…

New Ford Bronco – 2020 Ford Bronco Details, News, Photos, and More

Everything We Think We Know About the 2020 Ford Bronco
Ford is bringing back the beloved 4×4 SUV. Here’s what to expect. Oct 9, 2018 Bronco6G.com This post is being continually updated as we learn more about the 2020 Bronco. It was last updated 10/9/18 with rumors that it could get a manual transmission. The Ford Bronco is coming back. Ford confirmed the return of the legendary off-road SUV at the Detroit Auto Show in 2017, and we expect the 2020 Bronco will make its debut there next January. Naturally, Ford hasn’t released many further details on the 2020 Bronco, other than one teaser image , but we know it’s based on the 2019 Ranger , which debuted earlier this year. Advertisement – Continue Reading Below Pictured above: a rendering of a 2020 Bronco from fan forum Bronco6G.com . Here, we’ve compiled all we’ve heard about the new Bronco, including the details we can glean from the Ranger. Ford Ford released the very veiled teaser image above last month, and graphic designer Michael Clark put together speculative renderings for us. Here’s what we think the Bronco will look like, at least in profile: Michael Clark The last-generation Bronco was based on the F-150, but Ford product head Joe Hinrichs told us the 2020 will be based on the new Ranger. Someone claiming to be a Ford designer on Reddit said that the Bronco will be similar to the Everest , a Ranger-based SUV sold in other markets. Former Ford Chief Technical Officer Raj Nair, however, contradicted that assertion—he said the new Bronco will be a unique vehicle , not a reworked Everest. Size-wise, he said we expect something smaller than the original Bronco but bigger than the 1980s Bronco II. And if you’re worried the new Bronco will be a glorified Explorer, don’t be. He followed it up by saying “people have an idea of what a Bronco should be. Certainly, we have an idea of what a Bronco should be, and we’re going to be looking forward to bringing that to our customers.” Advertisement – Continue Reading Below The 2019 Ford Ranger. Ford We wouldn’t be surprised if Ford’s new Bronco shares engine and transmission offerings with the Ranger since they’ll share a platform. For the US market, the new Ranger gets a 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder derived from the Focus RS. Ford hasn’t released detailed specs for the Ranger’s engine, but it has confirmed that it’ll be equipped with a 10-speed automatic. Ford did, however, confirm in its 2018 Q1 earnings call that the Bronco will get a hybrid drivetrain of some sort. Interestingly, there’s a chance the 2020 Bronco could get a manual transmission. Per anonymous sources who spoke to Bozi Tatarevic over at Jalopnik , Ford is working with Getrag on a new seven-speed (!) manual for possible use in the Bronco. There’s a chance this gearbox—or any manual, for that matter—might not come to the production Bronco, but here’s hoping. A manual Bronco might not be a big seller, but it would give this 4×4 some serious enthusiast cred, and better position it against the Jeep Wrangler, which offers a six-speed stick. The alleged Ford designer on Reddit did say that the Bronco will get an off-road version to take on the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited . That fits with Nair’s assertion that the Wrangler will be the Bronco’s chief competitor. As for a Raptor, that’s anyone’s guess. Ford is making a Ranger Raptor , but it’ll only be sold in Asia-Pacific markets. Ford Performance boss Jamal Hameedi didn’t rule out the possibility of a Raptor-ized Everest at the Ranger Raptor’s launch, so perhaps there’s some hope for the Bronco. Advertisement – Continue Reading Below Advertisement – Continue Reading Below Unfortunately, we’ve also heard that Ford isn’t planning on building a two-door Bronco . Much as we’d like to see this throwback to the original, it’s likely far too niche for Ford. We do know, though, that it will get a removable roof . So that’s encouraging. Ford We’ve also heard that the Bronco could get solid axles front and rear . Dana, the same company that makes the upgraded axles for the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, said recently that it will supply driveline components for the Bronco and Ranger. Interestingly, as Jalopnik first discovered , it seems like Ford’s 2004 Bronco concept will make an appearance in Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s upcoming film, Rampage , which is due out next spring. While we don’t expect the production Bronco to look like this, it’s inclusion in the movie likely has something to do with Ford’s partnership with The Rock. In other words, the fact that The Rock is Instagramming this isn’t a coincidence. Recently, an anonymous Ford source told Gear Patrol that the Bronco would look like a four-door version of the Brazilian Troller SUV (pictured below). Ford Advertisement – Continue Reading Below The Bronco’s base price should be around $30,000, which is about the same as a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited. It’s not yet confirmed, but we’d be shocked if the 2020 Bronco didn’t debut at next year’s Detroit Auto Show. Watch this space in January 2019. Advertisement – Continue Reading Below

Read More…