Evacuation order issued in Central B.C. after human-caused wildfire | CBC News

Evacuation order issued in Central B.C. after human-caused wildfire | CBC News

A quickly growing wildfire west of Prince George, B.C., has prompted a state of emergency and evacuation orders for some homes.
The B.C. Wildfire Service says it was notified of a wildfire burning near Fraser Lake and Lejac , along Highway 16 around 3 p.m. PT Saturday.
At 8:30 p.m. the fire had grown to 100 hectares in size, and by late Saturday night it had reached 260 hectares.
Around 20 firefighters are working to contain the blaze, which is currently described as being out of control and most likely human-caused. The service also used air tankers to drop fire retardant on the flames.
The #BCWildfire Service is responding to the Lejac wildfire located 5 km east of the community of Fraser Lake. The Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako is in the process of implementing evacuation alerts and orders for some areas. They will be posted here: https://t.co/ZfwgNIQUhB pic.twitter.com/59I4f2cOjL
— @BCGovFireInfo State of emergency Around 9 p.m. the Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako called a state of emergency and issued an evacuation order for all properties south of Highway 16 to Roys Lake, west and east of Seaspunkut (Lejac).
It did not say how many homes were being evacuated.
Looks like forest fire haze has now reached Prince George, B.C. pic.twitter.com/VsocnhfD7Y
— @wilfundal The district also issued an evacuation alert for the area South of Highway 16 to south of Klez Lake and east of Drywilliam Lake.
More information about the orders can be found on the Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako website .
‘We’re not ready for this’ Fraser Lake Mayor Sarrah Storey said the fire was very visible from the community and described the flames as “impressive.”
She also said that several people in her community were surprised to see a fire like this so early in the season.
“We’re not ready for this,” she said.
Residents in Prince George said Saturday evening they could smell smoke from the fire and see a hazy horizon at sunset.
(CBC)

Read More…

Iglesia endorses 9 admin bets plus Poe, Lapid, Binay | ABS-CBN News

MANILA ( UPDATE ) – Influential religious group Iglesia ni Cristo has endorsed 12 senatorial candidates, 9 of whom are backed by the administration, according to a list seen by ABS-CBN News on Sunday, the eve of the May 13 midterm polls.
The list, handed out to members of the sect known for its bloc voting , endorsed the following candidates:
Sonny Angara Nancy Binay Pia Cayetano Ronald Dela Rosa Jinggoy Estrada Christopher “Bong” Go Lito Lapid Imee Marcos Grace Poe Ramon “Bong” Revilla, Jr. Francis Tolentino Cynthia Villar Of these candidates, only Poe, Lapid and Binay are not running under regional party Hugpong ng Pagbabago chaired by President Rodrigo Duterte’s daughter, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio.
Poe is an independent candidate, while Lapid is from the Nationalist People’s Coalition and Binay is from the United Nationalist Alliance.
The candidates endorsed by INC all made it to the top 15 of a May 3-6 voter preference survey by Pulse Asia .
None of the 12 candidates backed by the sect were from opposition slate Otso Diretso.
Last month, only one opposition candidate — reelectionist Sen. Bam Aquino — secured the support of Catholic charismatic group El Shaddai. Majority of the 14 candidates endorsed by the group were also from Hugpong.

Read More…

Alyssa Milano calls for sex strike as protest against Republican abortion laws | World news | The Guardian

Actor provokes storm with call to regain ‘bodily autonomy’ as GOP-held legislatures push laws amid quest to overturn Roe v Wade. The actor Alyssa Milano ignited a social media storm with a call for women to join her in a sex strike, to protest against strict abortion laws passed by Republican-controlled state legislatures.
Abortion: judge strikes down Kentucky restriction but governor to appeal Read more
The star of Charmed and Melrose Place urged women in her tweet to stop having sex “until we get bodily autonomy back”.
Her tweet came days after Georgia became the fourth state in the US this year to ban abortions after cardiac activity is detected – about six weeks into a pregnancy and before many women know they are pregnant.
“We need to understand how dire the situation is across the country,” Milano said. “It’s reminding people that we have control over our own bodies and how we use them.”
She noted that women have historically withheld sex to protest or advocate for political reform. She cited how Iroquois women refused to have sex in the 1600s as a way to stop unregulated warfare. Most recently, she noted that Liberian women used a sex strike in 2003 to demand an end to a long-running civil war.
Milano received support from fans and her fellow actor Bette Midler joined her in calling for a sex strike. But both liberals and conservatives also lampooned the idea, conservatives praising her for promoting abstinence and liberals saying she was pushing a false narrative that women only have sex as a favor to men.
Milano said the criticism didn’t bother her and that her tweet was having her desired effect, “which is getting people to talk about the war on women”.
Georgia’s six-week abortion ban reveals the cruelty of the anti-choice movement | Moira Donegan Read more
She said she feared one of the laws could eventually be decided by the conservative-leaning US supreme court, which Republicans hope will overturn the 1973 Roe v Wade decision legalizing abortion.
“That is absolutely horrifying to me,” Milano said. “Anyone who is not completely and totally outraged by this and doesn’t see where this is leading, I think, is not taking this threat seriously.”
Milano said people have to determine for themselves how long the sex strike should last. For her part, she hasn’t decided yet how long she will forgo sex.
“I mean, I don’t know,” she said. “I sent a tweet last night I haven’t really thought much past that this morning.”
Topics Abortion US politics US constitution and civil liberties Law (US) Republicans Gender Activism news

Read More…

In big boost, IAF gets first Apache Guardian attack helicopter | India News – Times of India

India News: The first Apache Guardian attack helicopter has been formally handed over to the Indian Air Force (IAF) at Boeing production facility in Mesa, Arizona”> <link rel="manifest" href=

Read More…

Conservatives, NDP call for emergency committee meeting on Mark Norman case News

Conservatives, NDP call for emergency committee meeting on Mark Norman case Social Sharing Politics Conservatives, NDP call for emergency committee meeting on Mark Norman case The opposition parties are forcing an emergency meeting of the national defence committee to investigate the government’s conduct in the Mark Norman trial. Social Sharing Elise von Scheel · CBC News · Posted: May 12, 2019 3:02 PM ET | Last Updated: May 12 Federal prosecutors stayed a breach of trust charge against Vice-Admiral Mark Norman. NDP and Conservative MPs want an emergency meeting of the defence committee to discuss the case.(Sean Kilpatrick/Sean Kilpatrick)

Read More…