The Jeremy Kyle Show has been permanently cancelled by ITV after a guest reportedly took his own life.
ITV made the announcement this morning confirming the show would not return following the death of Steve Dymond.
In a statement, chief executive Carolyn McCall said: “Given the gravity of recent events we have decided to end production of The Jeremy Kyle Show.
Image: Guest Steve Dymond died after recording the show “The Jeremy Kyle Show has had a loyal audience and has been made by a dedicated production team for 14 years, but now is the right time for the show to end.
“Everyone at ITV’s thoughts and sympathies are with the family and friends of Steve Dymond.”
Advertisement The broadcaster said it would continue to work with Kyle, who is yet to comment, on other projects.
The confrontational talk show was taken off air and suspended on Monday after news of Mr Dymond’s death emerged.
More from Jeremy Kyle Jeremy Kyle Show: ITV to reveal future of daytime TV programme later today Image: Kyle was pictured outside his home in Windsor on Tuesday The 63-year-old’s body was found at an address in Grafton St, Portsmouth, on 9 May, a week after recording the show.
During the episode, which has not been aired and is now under review by ITV, he had taken a lie detector test to convince fiancee Jane Callaghan he had not been unfaithful, but was told he had failed.
Following a huge public outcry, MPs were due to discuss the case today and Theresa May’s spokesman has described the incident as “deeply concerning”.
“Broadcasters and production companies have a responsibility for the mental health and wellbeing of participants and viewers of their programmes,” the prime minister’s spokesman said.
“We are clear they must have appropriate levels of support in place.”
A spokesman for the Ofcom broadcasting watchdog said Mr Dymond’s death was “very distressing”.
They added: “Although we can only assess content that has been broadcast, we are discussing this programme with ITV as a priority to understand what took place.”
Jeremy Kyle has been seen for the first time since it emerged a guest on his daytime TV show had died after reportedly taking own life.
The presenter was filmed on Tuesday by Sky News returning to his home in Windsor, Berkshire.
It comes as Prime Minister Theresa May’s spokesman said the death which happened earlier this month was a “deeply concerning case”.
Image: The victim is reportedly named Steve Dymond “Broadcasters and production companies have a responsibility for the mental health and well-being of participants and viewers of their programmes,” they said.
“We are clear they must have appropriate levels of support in place.”
Advertisement The Jeremy Kyle Show guest who died has reportedly been named as 63-year-old Steve Dymond.
He took a lie-detector test to convince fiancee Jane Callaghan he had not cheated but they split after he failed, according to The Sun.
More from UK Soldiers and veterans to get greater protection from historical war crimes allegations Privately-run mental health units putting young people at risk ‘I would rather have been dead than alive in that place’ Knife crime crisis: Councils warn children as young as 14 are able to buy knives Guardsman Matthew Talbot: Soldier killed by elephant brought back to UK Leah Heyes: Mum ‘heartbroken’ after daughter dies ‘taking ecstasy’ ITV has said the programme “has significant and detailed duty of care processes” for its guests.
The episode in which Mr Dymond appeared has not been aired and the show was taken off air indefinitely following his death, which happened a week after the recording took place.
A spokesman for the Gosport coroner said: “HM Coroner has ordered a post-mortem to be carried out and is awaiting the result. An inquest is likely to be opened into the death within the next few days.”
The controversial programme has been criticised by MPs for failing to look after its guests, as calls mount for it to be cancelled for good.
Image: Kyle’s show has been running since 2005 Ms Callaghan said Mr Dymond had been “quietly struggling”, but praised the show’s team for their after-care efforts.
She told the newspaper: “They were brilliant. They were there when he needed help. They were really persistent in offering him help.”
Ms Callaghan said that just before they went on the show, Mr Dymond had convinced her he had not cheated.
She said the pair split up after the show, reportedly filmed on 2 May, and last saw him four days later before Mr Dymond was found dead last week.
She added: “I can’t see Steve taking his life without explaining it to me first.
“But he always said he would never love someone else.”
Image: The ITV daytime show was taken off air indefinitely following Mr Dymond’s death Damian Collins, chairman of the commons digital, culture, media and sport committee, said TV companies “have a duty to care to the people who take part in their programmes”, while Tory MP Simon Hart, who also sits on the committee, described the Jeremy Kyle Show as “car-crash TV which revels in people’s terrible misfortune and sometimes their vulnerabilities”.
:: Listen to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts , Google Podcasts , Spotify , Spreaker
Charles Walker, vice-chair of the parliamentary group on combating suicide and self-harm, called on ITV to stop commissioning the show
Mr Walker demanded a crackdown on programmes that put people under a “huge amount of pressure and wait until they go pop”.
The episode featuring the guest who died will be submitted for a review due to the “seriousness of this event”, ITV said.
Listen to “Sky News Daily” on Spreaker. A spokesman for ITV said the channel has “many years’ experience” creating programmes featuring members of the public and always has duty of care measures in place.
The spokesman added the processes are “regularly reviewed to ensure that they are fit for purpose in an ever-changing landscape”.
“In the case of The Jeremy Kyle Show, the programme has significant and detailed duty of care processes in place for contributors pre, during and post show which have been built up over 14 years, and there have been numerous positive outcomes from this, including people who have resolved complex and long-standing personal problems,” they added.
“Prior to the show a comprehensive assessment is carried out by the guest welfare team on all potential contributors. The guest welfare team consists of four members of staff, one consultant psychotherapist and three mental health nurses.”
They said the guests are supported by the guest welfare team before, during and after filming, “to ensure they are feeling calm and emotionally settled before any participant leaves to travel home”.
The day after recording the participant will be contacted by production to carry out a welfare check, the spokesman added.
The show has run on ITV since 2005 and features Kyle solving the problems of his guests through on-stage mediation – which often involves a lie detector.
ITV’s support for its reality stars has also come under scrutiny following the deaths of two former Love Island contestants.
Sophie Gradon , 32, who appeared on the show in 2016, was found hanged in June by her boyfriend, who later took his own life in similar circumstances.
In March this year another Love Island contestant, Mike Thalassitis , was found hanged in a north London park.
ITV and The Jeremy Kyle Show say they are “shocked and saddened” at news of the death of a participant in the show a week after the recording and they will not screen the episode in which they featured.
“Given the seriousness of this event, ITV has also decided to suspend both filming and broadcasting of The Jeremy Kyle Show with immediate effect in order to give it time to conduct a review of this episode of the show, and we cannot comment further until this review is completed.”
:: Anyone feeling emotionally distressed or suicidal can call Samaritans for help on 116 123 or email firstname.lastname@example.org in the UK. In the US, call the Samaritans branch in your area or 1 (800) 273-TALK.
Gadon: I’m victim of vote-shaving | News
He would need more than 10 million votes to catch up at least with reelectionist Sen. Nancy Binay’s, who placed 12th.
Bongbong Marcos endorsement
Among the administration candidates who broke into the quick count’s top 12 was former Ilocos Norte Gov. Imee Marcos, whose brother Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. endorsed Gadon.
Gadon wondered how the Commission on Elections (Comelec) managed to canvass less than half of 1 percent of the total votes by Monday night only to suspend it and announce its resumption at 1 p.m. on Tuesday.
“Comelec sent away the candidates’ lawyers and their representatives. But at 1:19 a.m. on Tuesday dawn, counting continued. By 3 a.m., it is finished,” he said in an online interview with House reporters.
Gadon claimed the count was nearly completed in an hour and 41 minutes because the storage cards had been “preprogrammed by Smartmatic to shave his votes.” There was no immediate comment from the Comelec or Smartmatic.
The PPCRV is conducting an unofficial count parallel to Comelec’s canvassing, which began only on Tuesday afternoon. ADVERTISEMENT
Gadon also expressed surprise at the number of votes he had garnered, saying it did not reflect his popularity as shown by his “warm reception” in out-of-town rallies as well as on social media.
“During the Salubungan of the El Shaddai, the crowd went wild as people wanted to take selfies with Larry Gadon, ignoring other senatorial bets who were also onstage, a few feet away. No one wanted to take photos with them, which showed that the interest of people is in Larry Gadon,” he said.
Gadon recalled garnering 2 million votes in his failed first crack at the Senate in 2016 when he was not yet that popular and had not waged a full-blown campaign.
“Now in 2019, I am now more popular, and often mobbed by people wherever I go,” he said. “It is really impossible that I got only 3 million votes. My votes were shaved off and added to administration candidates whom I have been beating in social media and mock election surveys.”
Gadon made headlines in January when he asked the Comelec to bar polling firms Pulse Asia and Social Weather Stations from releasing surveys, lest they become “political propagandists.”
See the bigger picture with the Inquirer’s live in-depth coverage of the election here https://inq.ph/Election2019 Read Next
Avoiding dementia – vitamins ‘no help’ – BBC News
Avoiding dementia – vitamins ‘no help’
Tim Conway, American comedy star, dead at 85 News
Emmy-winning actor Tim Conway, who brought an endearing, free-wheeling goofiness to skits on The Carol Burnett Show that cracked up his castmates as well as the audience, died on Tuesday at the age of 85, his publicist said.