Trump breaks silence amid Alabama abortion ban row – BBC News

Trump breaks silence amid Alabama abortion ban row – BBC News

Trump breaks silence amid Alabama abortion ban row 19 May 2019 These are external links and will open in a new window Close share panel Media playback is unsupported on your device Media caption Dina had to give birth to her rapist’s child – under Alabama’s abortion ban women would have no choice. US President Donald Trump has outlined his “strongly pro-life” views on abortion amid controversy over strict new laws passed in several states.
Mr Trump said he was against abortion except in cases of rape, incest or a “serious health risk” to the mother.
His stance on what is a divisive election issue in the US emerged days after Alabama passed a law banning abortion in almost all cases.
A pro-choice rally is planned later on Sunday in protest at the new measures. Emotional abortion stories shared with #youknowme
Supporters of Alabama’s abortion ban say they expect the law to be blocked in court, but hope that the appeals process will bring it before the US Supreme Court.
They want the highest court in the land – which now has a conservative majority – to overturn the 1973 Roe v Wade ruling making abortion a right across the US.
Sixteen other states are also seeking to impose new restrictions on abortion. Image copyright EPA Image caption The US president outlined his views amid the controversy over Alabama’s new law What did the president say?
Mr Trump, whose position on abortion has shifted over the years, had been largely silent on the Alabama restrictions until Saturday, when he posted a series of tweets outlining his views.
“I am very strongly pro-life, with the three exceptions – rape, incest and protecting the life of the mother – the same position taken by Ronald Reagan”, he said.
The president added that judicial measures, such as his appointment of conservative Supreme Court judges Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh, had helped to make abortion laws in various states more restrictive.
“We have come very far in the last two years with 105 wonderful new federal judges (many more to come), two great new supreme court justices … and a whole new and positive attitude about the right to life.”
Abortion is an issue which remains controversial in the US, with evangelical Christians in particular forming a nucleus of voters who want to restrict, or even outlaw, the procedure completely.
Mr Trump has adjusted his stance over the years. In 1999, he said: “I’m very pro-choice. I hate the concept of abortion. I hate it. I hate everything it stands for. I cringe when I listen to people debating the subject. But you still – I just believe in choice.”
But in March 2016, he clarified that his position was “pro-life with exceptions”.
On Saturday he tweeted that Republicans must unite to “win for life in 2020”. Media playback is unsupported on your device Media caption The Pink House: The last abortion clinic in Mississippi
Senior Democrats have also suggested that the issue will be an important one in the 2020 presidential campaign.
Massachusetts senator and Democratic presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren responded to Alabama’s abortion ban by saying: “This ban is dangerous and exceptionally cruel – and the bill’s authors want to use it to overturn Roe v Wade.
“I’ve lived in that America and let me tell you: We are not going back – not now, not ever. We will fight this. And we will win.” How easy is it to access abortion in the US?
Since the Supreme Court ruling on abortion in 1973, the number of abortion clinics has dropped in many US states, and in 2017, six states reportedly had just one abortion clinic in operation.
Earlier this year the governors of Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi and Ohio signed bills banning terminations if an embryonic heartbeat could be detected.

Read More…

Republican Justin Amash calls for Trump impeachment – BBC News

Image copyright Ronald Grant Image caption Mr Amash also accused Attorney General William Barr of misleading the public Justin Amash has become the first Republican congressman to call for the impeachment of President Donald Trump.
He claimed Mr Trump had “engaged in specific actions” that “meet the threshold for impeachment”.
Mr Amash accused Attorney General William Barr of misleading the public about Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s findings on Russian interference.
The president responded by calling Mr Amash “a total lightweight” who was attempting to make a name for himself.
Mr Mueller’s report found no criminal conspiracy between Trump’s 2016 election campaign and Russia.
However it did find 10 instances where Mr Trump possibly attempted to impede the investigation.
Mr Amash, a representative for Michigan, made the comments on Saturday on Twitter.
Skip Twitter post by @justinamash Here are my principal conclusions:
1. Attorney General Barr has deliberately misrepresented Mueller’s report.
2. President Trump has engaged in impeachable conduct.
3. Partisanship has eroded our system of checks and balances.
4. Few members of Congress have read the report.
— Justin Amash (@justinamash) May 18, 2019 Report End of Twitter post by @justinamash
He told his followers that “few members of Congress even read Mueller’s report” and claimed that they made up their minds based on “partisan affiliation.”
Rashida Tlaib, a Democrat lawmaker for Michigan, asked Mr Amash to “cosponsor” an impeachment investigation resolution.
Eight new things in the Mueller report Pelosi accuses attorney general of lying On Twitter, Mr Trump called Mr Amash a “loser” , saying that if the congressman had “actually read the biased Mueller report” he would have seen “that it was nevertheless strong on NO COLLUSION and, ultimately, NO OBSTRUCTION.”
“How do you obstruct when there is no crime and, in fact, the crimes were committed by the other side?” he added.
The 448 page report by the special counsel includes large swathes of redactions and a subpoena demanding its full version has been issued.
Many Democrats, including presidential hopeful Senator Elizabeth Warren, have called for Mr Trump’s impeachment.
Following the release of the report, she said: “The severity of this misconduct demands that elected officials in both parties set aside political considerations and do their constitutional duty.”
However House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi have warned against it.
Mr Hoyer told CNN that impeachment would not be “worthwhile”. He said: “Very frankly, there is an election in 18 months and the American people will make a judgement.”
Nancy Pelosi told the Washington Post that impeaching Mr Trump is “just not worth it.”

Read More…

Republican Justin Amash calls for Trump impeachment – BBC News

Republican Justin Amash calls for Trump impeachment 19 May 2019 These are external links and will open in a new window Close share panel Image copyright Ronald Grant Image caption Mr Amash also accused Attorney General William Barr of misleading the public Justin Amash has become the first Republican congressman to call for the impeachment of President Donald Trump.
He claimed Mr Trump had “engaged in specific actions” that “meet the threshold for impeachment”.
Mr Amash accused Attorney General William Barr of misleading the public about Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s findings on Russian interference.
Mr Mueller’s report found no criminal conspiracy between Trump’s 2016 election campaign and Russia.
However it did find 10 instances where Mr Trump possibly attempted to impede the investigation.
Mr Amash, a representative for Michigan, made the comments on Saturday on Twitter. Here are my principal conclusions:1. Attorney General Barr has deliberately misrepresented Mueller’s report.2. President Trump has engaged in impeachable conduct.3. Partisanship has eroded our system of checks and balances.4. Few members of Congress have read the report. Report End of Twitter post by @justinamash
He told his followers that “few members of Congress even read Mueller’s report” and claimed that they made up their minds based on “partisan affiliation.”
Rashida Tlaib, a Democrat lawmaker for Michigan asked Mr Amash to “cosponsor” an impeachment investigation resolution.

Read More…

Staff shortages ‘abusing good will of nurses’ – BBC News

Image copyright Getty Images The good will of nurses in England is being abused by politicians who have failed to get to grips with a desperate shortage of staff, nurse leaders say.
Royal College of Nursing general secretary Dame Donna Kinnair will call for safe staffing levels to be enshrined in law in a speech on Monday.
There are currently nearly 40,000 nurse vacancies – one in nine posts.
However, the government says it is committed to increasing the number of nurses in training.
But Dame Donna, in an address to the RCN’s annual conference in Liverpool, will say this is not enough.
A report earlier this year by three leading think tanks warned vacancies could rise to 70,000 within five years and 100,000 in 10 if action was not taken.
Dame Donna will say the situation has been made worse by the removal of a student bursary for trainees and the introduction of tuition fees in 2016.
She will also say the good will of nurses is being abused – and that ministers need to consider the financial and human cost of leaving jobs unfilled.
‘Safe staffing levels needed’ She will demand tougher rules on safe staffing be introducing, criticising the “vague metric” currently used which does not distinguish between care provided by registered nurses or healthcare assistants.
Dame Donna will point to the new staffing law in Scotland, which cleared its final parliamentary hurdle earlier this month, as evidence of how legislation can be introduced.
Scotland is now the second country in the UK to set staffing accountability in law after Wales became the first in Europe to legislate in 2016.
Image copyright Getty Images She will say: “We will not stop until people are held to account for the desperate shortages each and every one of us has witnessed. Politicians must stop short-changing the public.
“They must stop the rot and put an end to the workforce crisis in nursing.
“Rather than only looking at the cost of educating and employing nurses, the government must think about the true cost – financial and human – of not doing it.
‘Employers, decision-makers and ministers with the power to change things should not let individual nurses take the blame for systemic failings.
“The goodwill of nursing staff is being abused and politicians must know it is running out. I will not stand by while this profession is denigrated.”
The Department of Health and Social Care has already announced plans to increase training places by 25% – and the NHS in England is now working on a long-term plan for the workforce.
A spokeswoman praised the “commitment” of nurses and said the government would “secure” the staff the service needed.

Read More…

Google ‘restricts Huawei’s use of Android’ – BBC News

Huawei’s use of Android restricted by Google 20 May 2019 These are external links and will open in a new window Close share panel Media playback is unsupported on your device Media caption Young people in Singapore say they are now wary of buying Huawei phones Google has barred the world’s second biggest smartphone maker, Huawei, from some updates to the Android operating system, dealing a blow to the Chinese company.
New designs of Huawei smartphones are set to lose access to some Google apps.
The move comes after added Huawei to a list of companies that American firms cannot trade with unless they have a licence.
Google said it was “complying implications”.
Huawei said it would
“We will continue to build a safe and sustainable software ecosystem, in order to provide the best experience for all users globally,” it added.
In a press briefing, China said it “supports the relevant company [Huawei] to defend its legitimate rights according to law.” What does this mean for Huawei users?
Existing Huawei smartphone users will be able to update apps and push through security fixes, as well as update Google Play services.
But when Google launches the next version of Android later this year, it may not be available on Huawei devices.
Future Huawei devices may no longer have apps such as YouTube and Maps.
Huawei can still use the version of the Android operating system available through an open source licence.
Ben Wood, from the CCS Insight consultancy, said the move by Google would have “big implications for Huawei’s consumer business”. Media playback is unsupported on your device Media caption What does Google’s move mean for Huawei phone users? What can Huawei do about this?
Last Wednesday, added Huawei to its ” entity list “, which bans the company from acquiring technology from US firms without government approval. Which countries are blocking Huawei?
In his first comments since the firm was placed on the list, Huawei chief executive Ren Zhengfei told Japanese media on Saturday: “We have already been preparing for this.”
He said the firm, which buys about $67bn (£52.6bn) worth of components each year according to the Nikkei business newspaper, would push ahead with developing its own parts.
Huawei faces a growing backlash from Western countries, led by the US, over possible risks posed by using its products in next-generation 5G mobile networks.
Several countries have raised concerns that Huawei equipment could be used by China for surveillance, allegations the company has vehemently denied.
Huawei has said its work does not pose any threats and that it is independent from the Chinese government.
However, some countries have blocked telecoms companies from using Huawei products in 5G mobile networks.
So far the UK has held back from any formal ban.
“Huawei has been working hard on developing its own App Gallery and other software assets in a similar manner to its work on chipset solutions. There is little doubt these efforts are part of its desire to control its own destiny,” said Mr Wood. Media playback is unsupported on your device Media caption We explain the controversy around Huawei’s 5G tech – using castles Short-term damage for Huawei?
By Leo Kelion, BBC Technology desk editor
In the short term, this could be very damaging for Huawei in the West.
Smartphone shoppers would not want an Android phone that lacked access to Google’s Play Store, its virtual assistant or security updates, assuming these are among the services that would be pulled.
In the longer term, though, this might give smartphone vendors in general a reason to seriously consider the need for a viable alternative to Google’s operating system, particularly at a time that the search giant is trying to push its own Pixel brand at their expense.
As far as Huawei is concerned, it appears to have prepared for the eventuality of being cut off from American know-how.
Its smartphones are already powered by its own proprietary processors, and earlier this year its consumer devices chief told German newspaper Die Welt that “we have prepared our own operating systems – that’s our plan B”.
Even so, this move could knock its ambition to overtake Samsung and become the bestselling smartphone brand in 2020 seriously off course. What about the US-China trade war?
The latest move against Huawei marks an escalation in tensions between the firm and the US.
The company is facing almost two dozen criminal charges filed by US authorities . Washington is also seeking the extradition of Huawei executive Meng Wangzou from Canada, where she was arrested in December at the behest of American officials.
It comes as trade tensions between the US and China also appear to be rising.
The world’s two largest economies have been locked in a bruising trade battle for the past year that has seen tariffs imposed on billions of dollars worth of one another’s goods. Moving to Vietnam to avoid US-China trade war
Earlier this month, Washington more than doubled tariffs on $200bn of Chinese goods, prompting Beijing to retaliate with its own tariff hikes on US products.
The move surprised some – and rattled global markets – as the situation had seemed to be nearing a conclusion.
The US-China trade war has weighed on the global economy over the past year and created uncertainty for businesses and consumers. Related Topics

Read More…